Friday, March 9, 2012

Health Care Reform: Good for Americans, but Great for Texans

I came across an article called, "Number Of Texans With Health Insurance Will Soar With Health Care Reform—It Was Mitt Romney’s Idea" on Texas Liberal. As if it wasn't obvious by the title, the article addressed Obama's healthcare reform and the great impact it would have on Texas. Unfortunately, there are MANY people fighting against it. As a Texan under the age of 26, I am currently covered under my dad's insurance policy through his employer, but 2 years ago I wasn't. I was dropped from the policy when I "aged off", but was lucky enough to have the option to rejoin 6 months later because of the reform... or parts of it at least. What happens when I turn 26 and am still a full time student with a part time job? Am I expected to shell out mass amounts of money any time I need to see a doctor or get sick? I don't care whether you're Democrat or Republican, health care should not be something unavailable to those in need.

Many Americans poke fun at Canada, but the truth is that Canada has a national healthcare system and their doctors are REQUIRED to help you no matter what. Who's going to be laughing when you're sick and need a doctor and get turned away because you have no medical coverage? Do you think Gov. Rick Perry is going to care? According to this article, "Texas has the highest rate of uninsured Americans in the nation." Right now, 74% of all Texans have health insurance. If Obama's health reform plan takes effect in 2014, that number will be 91%. Perry doesn't care. He's actually made some choices that have put Texas citizens' affordable healthcare options in jeopardy, such as shutting down clinics that provided cancer screenings and fighting against Planned Parenthood, who offer affordable, and often times free, healthcare to women, men, and children!

The article makes mention that Mitt Romney plans to repeal the reform if he is elected president, but the entire idea was originally his. Seriously? Is he that worried that he won't get elected if he supports this healthcare reform? Are ALL Republicans against this plan?

As I said before, whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, you NEED healthcare and you NEED health insurance. Is it so foreign a thought that Democrats AND Republicans can share the same idea and goal? Can't we all just get along for the good of our state? What about our country?




No comments:

Post a Comment